Sunday, November 16, 2008

11/15/08 - Soul Shot Saturday

Today on the show we had Soul Shot Saturday! Try saying that three times fast! Well, I practiced. I tried. But I blew it.

Déjà vu for those of you who saw a particular YouTube video featuring yours truly.

Anyway, what Soul Shot Saturday meant was I played a few cuts from some compilations that Rhino put out years ago called Soul Shots A Collection of Sixties Soul Classics. These have some great old soul tunes that you're not likely to hear on what's left of the commercial oldies stations (and I use that term loosely).I don't know how many albums were put out in this series, I have three of them.
Tyrone Davis – Can I Change My Mind
JJ Jackson - But It's Alright
Barbara Acklin - Love Makes A Woman
Lou Rawls- Love Is a Hurtin Thing
Flirtations - Nothing But A Heartache

Picking through the record box:
Lovin Spoonful - You Didn't Have To Be So Nice (by request!)
The Turtles - It Ain't Me Babe
Tams - Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy
Drifters - Please Stay (The only glitch of the day--they wanted to sing sooner than I was ready for them to. Gotta wait your turn, guys!)
Johnny Mathis - What Will My Mary Say (A song I always loved, but secretly as a child. Little Beatles loving me didn't admit that I actually loved a song my mother did!)
Sweet Inspirations - Sweet Inspiration
Jerry Butler - Mr. Dream Merchant (last two also from Soul Shots collection)

Current section:
Quite honestly, I don't really know where this falls in the baby boomer demographic this show usually covers, but I did want to share this song with you. If some of you are around Nashville or if you read album liner notes, you may be familiar with the name Gordon Mote. He's been one of the first call session piano players in Nashville for quite a number of years, but he's also a wonderful singer. Of late he has been the pianist for the Gaither Homecoming Tour and has launched a gospel music solo career. This song was sent to country radio. I first heard it about two and a half years ago as a demo and I told Gordon then he had a hit on his hands and I've very glad he recorded it himself—this is from his most recent album Don't Let Me Miss The Glory.

Gordon Mote - Wake Up Dancin
Alan O' Day - I Hear Voices
Michael Loonan - Meet Me On the Way To Madison

I'm sure every city has its special venue where musical magic is made every night. For me it was Music City Cafe/Billy's On Grand in St. Paul, MN. Back in the 90s it was where I'd hear and came to know Michael Loonan and others who started out on a small stage and then went on to do me proud and become touring musicians.

Inspiration:
I tried to do this last week but ran out of time—these are challenging times we're all living in where we have to make compromises and sacrifices right now so hopefully this piece which I wrote for another website will help just a little bit.

http://sogospelnews.com/index/articles/comments/9817/

Wrap up: King Curtis - Soul Serenade

I actually was pleased with the show today. Scripting and conceiving the show seems to be working well for me.

Next week: a walk through history, looking at 1963 and the 45th anniversary of the JFK assassination. It still affects me to this day and I'll have some thoughts on growing up in the wake of that monumental event.

No comments: