Sunday, April 19, 2009

4/19/09 Blog/Playlist: Dreams

I think I was half asleep and daydreaming for much of the show today...kinda got into the zone here and there listening to the music and cut it real close on some of my cues.

When I came in to the studio this morning, something smelled kinda funky. The explanation for that came from our program director, Beau Hunter, who stopped in to note that most likely a mouse died in the walls (They'll be dealing with that. The smell was worse earlier in the week, he said, which makes me grateful for my weekend slot). I hadn't given a thought to the possibility of mice being around. I am terrified of them and can tell you several horror stories. So, if you are ever listening and you hear my voice get extremely excitable while on mike or just hear a blood-curdling scream...that might mean there's a mouse in the studio.

Anyway...I want to say a very grateful thank you to Steve Haggard, who is co-host with Kimberly King of the Haggard King Radio Hour here on WRFN on Tuesdays from 4-5, for the very kind words about yours truly in his Nashville Free Press column, "The Real Music City". He was kind enough to allow me to share some thoughts about supporting local music here in Nashville. You can pick up an issue on newsstands and I also encourage you to read the column online. Like I've said before I've gotten more out of this gig here at Radio Free Nashville personally than I ever bargained for.

Segment 1 – Dreams
Today I started with a set of songs about dreams. When you think about dreams you think of two things, that which involves sleeping (and I'll tell you that the older you get the harder that is) or going for your hearts desire. This set is sort of a mix of the two ideas here, so I'll start with one of the greatest female singers who ever lived---Patsy Cline.

Patsy Cline – Sweet Dreams
Bobby Darin – Dream Lover
Roy Orbison – In Dreams
Jimmy Clanton – Just A Dream
Fleetwood Mac – Dreams (Live) (from "The Dance" CD--the only version I had)

Segment 2: Record Box
Lovin Spoonful – Daydream
Rascals – Girl Like You
Paul Revere and the Raiders - I Had A Dream
Supremes - Baby Love
Bob Welch - Sentimental Lady

Segment 3 – Soul Stew
One dream song here to start you with in this set.
Jerry Butler- Mr. Dream Merchant
Gladys Knight and the Pips – Midnight Train to Georgia
Brook Benton – Rainy Night In Georgia
(You know, when you have those last two songs handy, you just gotta play them together!)

Segment 4 – Non-oldie/new/current
I'm excited because I got an EP last week from of my favorite singers I've been playing on my show, Samantha Mooney who hails from the gold coast of Australia. She was kind enough to send me a few songs which will be on her upcoming album to be completed sometime this year. This is one song I absolutely fell in love with when she had it posted on MySpace so I'm thrilled to have a copy of it now.

Samantha Mooney- Somebody You Once Knew

Greg Lamboy – War of Words
I wish I could have used this song in the complicated love show but couldn't fit it in. I found this song when I was doing some music screening for an independent music organization. This guy just nails what can happen when communication breaks down between two people—very effective storytelling here.

Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband – Dream Big

Frequency To The Heart (That's the new name of the encouragement section. There's a motive behind it. I won't tell you about it just now, though):

In the aforementioned Nashville Free Press column, Steve used a quote of mine in which I said that everyone deserves a certain amount of respect for following their dreams. This came up as we were discussing some of the struggles musicians go through out here. Not everyone needs to be, or should be, a critic. Many times all that's needed is a kind word, or showing up and being present and listening. People do feel that support and you'd be surprised just how much it means to them. I've heard a songwriter say that very thing from the stage at a writers night just this past week. It's something simple that we all can do.

I am also happy to say that my workaround for the online catalog system worked and no "dance mixes" today!

No comments: