Sunday, September 6, 2009

9/6/09 Blog/Playlist: Weather

First, thanks to my buddy T.J. Kirby for having me on his show yesterday afternoon from 3-5. It was a blast just like last time...always fun getting together with him and there'll be more of that in the future. We also had folks listening in via Facebook and posting comments while we were on air, so that was cool.

It seemed that one of the CD players took ill yesterday while we were on the air. I just had to wait and see if that would be the case this morning. One seemed a little under the weather this morning as well, so I asked the audience for healing thoughts and prayers for it! I guess they worked--after one slight glitch this morning the rest of the tracks played fine.

Opening theme — So What's New – Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass

Segment 1: Theme-Weather
Well, the weather is about to change yet again. It does get kind of interesting year round here in Nashville—we can have good stretches of sunshine but when it does decide to rain, it does so in earnest. So I thought I'd play some weather related songs to start us off this morning. I say let's start with a little sunshine!

Gale Garnett – We’ll Sing In the Sunshine
Lovin Spoonful – Rain On the Roof
Lesley Gore – Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows
Dee Clark – Raindrops
Bobby Hebb – Sunny
Temptations – I Wish It Would Rain
Beach Boys – The Warmth of the Sun (This song's haunting, melancholy melody was inspired by the death of President Kennedy)

I notice a lot of people around here love thunderstorms. They're fine to watch, I suppose, but it is not fun at all when you are out driving in them and it's raining so hard that you can't see.

Segment 2: Picking Through the Record Box

I've been watching repeats of the Beatles Anthology special this past week. There's a Beatles Rock Band and remastered tracks coming out this week...on 9/9/09 in fact, which happens to be my birthday. I don't think I'll be getting it as a birthday present, unfortunately. So in honor of all that, let's start out with a Beatles tune.

Beatles – Things We Said Today
Honeycombs – Have I The Right
Little Peggy March – I Will Follow Him
Knickerbockers – Lies

Dates in music history: noted a few MTV Awards past winners and that tomorrow marked the anniversary of American Bandstand leaving Philadelphia for California in 1963 and cutting its TV schedule from daily to once a week on Saturdays. End of an era at the time.

Segment 3: Soul Stew
Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose in the game of love. I thought I'd put together a few soul songs that look at both sides of the coin.
Temptations – Since I Lost My Baby
Jimmy Ruffin – What Becomes of the Brokenhearted
Supremes – Back In My Arms Again
Drifters – Some Kind of Wonderful

Segment 4: Non-oldie/Current/New
One more artist who will be featured in my birthday round coming up this week at the Commodore Grille.

Beth Browne – Taking Back Your Better Half
Laurie McClain – He Smiled Like an Angel

Laurie McClain will be my in-studio guest next week.

Frequency To The Heart

Wendy V's Encouraging Words for September - The Face of Encouragement

Closer – Soul Serenade – King Curtis

No comments: