Sunday, January 11, 2009

1/11/09 Playlist - Not Snubbing the 70s

Segment 1: Not Snubbing the 70s
A couple of weeks ago, our Program Director, Beau Hunter, asked me, "Do you ever play any 70s music on your show?" Well, um, no, I guess I haven't much. It's not that I meant to snub the 70s. It's just that I'm so partial to the 60s when it comes down to oldies. But I'm going to rectify that. I had 70s stuff in this first set and I sprinkled some more throughout the hour. This first song was a hit back in 1972 but I don't think gets much play on the so-called oldies stations these days.

Alone Again Naturally - Gilbert O'Sullivan
Come and Get Your Love – Redbone
Brandy – Looking Glass
I Saw The Light -Todd Rundgren
Go All The Way - Raspberries

So if we're going to be talking about the 70s, then you're going to get me started about "where were you and what were you doing?" Well, I was in high school and college during that decade. In high school I was your stereotypical outcast geek who was in the honor society and such. The good news was when I got to college, none of that cool or uncool stuff mattered. In fact, for one brief shining moment I was cool in college. I had become a fan of radio and TV news and I had the opportunity, thanks to encouragement from my advisor, to organize a news department for my college radio station. Then I actually got a radio news internship on the FM station at Yale University that I listened to as a teen. Ironically, it was in the course of doing that when I realized that radio news wasn't what I wanted to do. I wanted to do something more creative. That ended up being writing relating to supporting musicians and encouraging others, so all's well that ends well.

Segment 2: Picking Through the Record Box
I came up with an old, obscure bubblegum type song. This from a group called Pickettywitch, who I believe were from Britain.

Same Old Feeling– Pickettywitch
Man's Temptation - Al Kooper/Mike Bloomfield
I'll Take You There – Staple Singers
You Baby – Turtles (Remember last week I found this song before my airshift and then lost track of it during the show when I wanted to play it. This time, by golly, I found it!)

Now I have a quiz for you today. Go to the MySpace page for Never Too Old that is at www.myspace.com/nevertoooldwv and listen to the songs in the player. Which song in the MySpace player on that page is a vocal version of an instrumental that is played often on this show? If you know, post a comment here, at the MySpace mirror version of the blog or send me an e-mail either via MySpace or wendyvnto@gmail.com . Anyone who gets it right will have their names immortalized in the blog and on next week's show.

Segment 3: Soul Stew
Some of what I played today came from this compilation called Entertainment Weekly hits of 1972.
Everybody Plays the Fool – Main Ingredient
Didn't I Blow Your Mind - Delfonics
I'll Be Around – Spinners (one of the classiest soul songs of the 70s).

Segment 4: Recent
Things That Are Lost - Alan O'Day
Whatcha Need – Mark Lowry

Encouragement:
The encouragement for today can be found in the lyrics of the song "Whatcha Need". There is the part about the guy hating his wife and wanting to leave her. A friend told him to list out all the good points he felt she had, and then he did a complete turnaround and loved her all over again. Sometimes we get hung up on the sour stuff and we forget the good things. Those bad lists tend to be longer when we start making them. So, try this. Make your good list and your bad list. Maybe...there will be something on that good list you have overlooked that is strong enough or may have something someone might have done recently that will make you tear up that bad list...and open the door for healing to begin.

Closer: Soul Serenade - King Curtis

I realized that I have given myself quite a challenge in coming up with an encouragement section for the show every week. There could be weeks when I may come up with a blank piece of paper. I don't have enough stuff in the can from my previous writings to last me a whole year. Thus, if I find more songs with an encouraging, positive message as I did with this one and reflect on it a bit, that should put me in good shape.

And hey---no technical glitches! No big flubs either! This was a good show! The show's settling into its new home with good Sunday morning vibes...

Upcoming themes:
1/18 Ladies Choice
1/25 The Guys' Turn
2/1 1964
2/8 Quirkyalone Day

No comments: