Monday, January 5, 2009

1/4/09 Playlist - Moving

Welcome to this blog to any new Sunday morning time slot listeners!

Opener: So What's New - Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. An apropos song for those who listened to automation on Sunday mornings and wondered what was going on. I think it will work as an opening theme as well.

Segment 1 - Moving
In honor of the show's move to a new day and time, and celebrating the anniversary of telling the world I was moving to Nashville after five years of planning and dreaming, I thought I'd play a few songs about moving. I should note that I'm working within the confines of my limited collection and some of what the station has, so sometimes one must get a little creative with themes. I'm going to touch on different kinds of moving and different ways of doing that in life. I haven't played as much Beatles as I should, so I started with this one.
Drive My Car - Beatles
We'll Sing In the Sunshine - Gale Garnett
We're A Winner – Impressions
Goin Back – Byrds
Place In the Sun- Stevie Wonder (I was so hoping the station catalog had this song because I didn't and I really wanted to use it. YES!)

Segment 2: Picking Through the Record Box
To re-explain this segment: It sort of reminds you of all those 45s people of the baby boomer generation may have had growing up and you kept them in one of those storage boxes or carry cases. You decide to listen to some music and you just go through randomly on impulse picking out stuff you want to hear, not worrying if all the styles fit together. You play a song because you want to hear it.

Now I have a confession to make. I don't actually have a record box anymore. I moved to Nashville nearly two years ago from St. Paul, MN. I did my move here with one friend driving my little subcompact and the other driving a mini-van with all my belongings. A lot of stuff had to get sacrificed and that included all of my vinyl. Of course, I've since kicked myself sore for not keeping some stuff that I could have used. Life's interesting sometimes.

This set started with one of my favorite childhood growing up songs, an "earworm" of many years that I've wanted to get at here but hadn't yet.
The Mountain's High – Dick and Deedee
It Ain't Me Babe - Turtles (This was a bit weird; I could have sworn I found "You Baby" in the catalog in my pre-show search and wrote it down. But when I got on the air and went back to put it in the playout system, I couldn't find it. So, I had to switch to this one.)
24 Hours From Tulsa - Gene Pitney

Segment 3: Soul Stew
For this first Temptation song I played, I admit I knew of a cover version first--the one by Mick Jagger and Peter Tosh, I think it was. For years I didn't know it was a Temptations original and I decided I like this one a whole lot better.
Don't Look Back – Temptations
Every Little Bit Hurts - Brenda Holloway (Another happy find in the catalog. This song was on one of the many vinyl albums that was sacrificed for my move. I always loved it but haven't had it since.)
Since You've Been Gone - Aretha Franklin (From the classic "Lady Soul." I noted how cool it was that the CD artwork replicates what an Atlantic single looked like.)
But It's Alright - JJ Jackson

Segment 3: Current/New
I'm excited because I have a new CD by a friend of mine from St. Paul, MN, TD Mischke. I've mentioned him in the past – he was a radio talk show host who is also a musician. I saw him in the early 90s in a rare (back then) solo gig in a small club called Music City CafĂ©. He just rocked my world and opened the door for me to seek out and encourage little known local artists, which I've now been doing for many years. This CD is called That Kind of Day, and I played a song I heard him do at this gig I mentioned. He hadn't recorded it until now. I have never forgotten this song over the years, so I'm thrilled he cut it here.
Babies – TD Mischke
Coast - Eliza Gilkyson (from the Red House Records compilation "These Times We're Living In")
Take This Heart – Samantha Mooney (one more from the Australian singer/songwriter I raved about weeks ago)

Encouragement: Wendy V's Encouraging Words from January 2007: Where Are You Moving To?

Closing theme - Soul Serenade- King Curtis

I dedicated this show to my mom, who passed away this past week. She was a lifelong music lover and would have wanted me to move ahead with the show. In fact, I trust that in her new home the signal is coming in loud and clear and she heard my show for the first time.

I was a little jittery -- I don't know why. It's not as if it was my very first show, though I did sort of treat it as such by doing an introduction for the people new to the show on Sunday mornings. I guess it's that way whenever you move to a "new home". I've surely been through that in the past year.

I must say that the glitch of the day came from my own mouth. I was reading the underwriter announcement, which was for a foot care company, Sole Supports . I pre-read it rather hastily and came across a word I wasn't sure how to pronounce properly. It was "orthotics", but with my jitters and haste, it came out as "orthodontics." Heaven knows that orthotics and orthodontics are two different physical matters. Sheesh.

Other than that, I like this Sunday spot and I think it's gonna work out fine, as Ike and Tina used to say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy , It's orthotics, that's those inserts that support the sole properly. Came releive a lotta pain for alotta folks. When I was younger , I was Aministrative manager for a five doc two office practice , Podiatry... or thot ics

Like your line up, I can sing almost all those songs, we really do have the same taste..