Sunday, May 10, 2009

5/10/09 Blog/Playlist: Boys and Girls

Opening theme: So What's New - Herb Alpert and TJB

Well, apparently no one heard me this morning. I am listening to my archive and I don't hear myself at all. I thought my mike was working this morning although maybe kind of fuzzy. But my fellow DJ Kerry who follows me thought it might not have been and he used the other mike. So, he was right. Hey, the technical stuff isn't my thing (somebody get me an engineer!). But apparently, no one around town was listening to my show this morning or someone would have told me--I hope. Or, everyone just dug the music (which did work) and didn't care what I said....good thing I played longer sets. Maybe I could say I borrowed an idea from my friend in the Twin Cities, TD Mischke, who once did an evening of silence on his old talk show. Anyway, below is some of what I said to myself, I guess...

Segment 1: Theme – Boys and Girls

OK boys and girls, the first set is all about you. I wanted to be sure that I gave equal time to both sexes here and fortunately my collection cooperated.

Four Seasons – Candy Girl
Connie Francis – Where The Boys Are (I didn't realize Neil Sedaka and Howard Greenfield wrote that song!)
Rascals – Girl Like You
Beatles – This Boy
Okaysions – Girl Watcher
Shirelles – Boys (Now a lot of you probably grew up hearing Ringo sing this with the Beatles, but that's the original)
Barbarians - Are You A Boy Or A Girl (A real period piece! Couldn't resist playing that one when I found it. A notable fact about this group was their drummer, Moulty, who had a hook for a hand due to an accident.)

Segment 2: Picking Through the Record Box

I'm going to start with a song I remember first hearing in the 60s on FM progressive stations by the group Rhinoceros. That group had another FM track that was popular, that being the instrumental "Apricot Brandy". But Three Dog Night picked up this song from them and had a hit with it in 1973.
Three Dog Night – Let Me Serenade You
Petula Clark – I Couldn't Live Without Your Love
Ricky Nelson – Fools Rush In (Where Angels Fear To Tread)
Critters – Mr. Dieingly Sad
Jackie DeShannon - Needles and Pins

Segment 3: Soul Stew

I have a song for the boys and girls theme here that covers both in one song!
Intruders – Cowboys To Girls
Four Tops – It's the Same Old Song
Wilson Pickett – I'm In Love
Impressions – I Loved And I Lost

Segment 4: Non-oldie/Current/New (Outside the Box)

I played this song a few months ago from this group from Scotland called OneDay40, which had found me on MySpace and blew me away. I have an update on them for you—they have been signed to a deal here in the US by an indie Nashville label and their album will have a US release very soon. I sure hope it involves a visit to the US at some point to play here—I would definitely go!

OneDay40 – Sad Cowboy
Nancy Moran – Perfect World

Nancy Moran is a singer/songwriter, known as part of the group "The Four Bitchin' Babes". She also does some occasional workshops here in town for songwriters and musicians on how to make money playing music...very informative, so keep your eyes and ears open for those if you're interested.

Frequency To The Heart:
The Vanessa Williams hit of some years back, "Save The Best For Last", has the great line "sometimes the very thing you're looking for is the one thing you can't see." When we go looking for that thing or person we perceive to be our ideal, we should make sure that as we're looking, we aren't missing something that is right in front of us. Sometimes the goodies are placed on the lower shelf. If you're reaching high, or you're tall, it's possible you could miss seeing them. So, don't overlook that person or that opportunity that might have blended into your world and not be sticking out as much; it could be what you wanted after all.

Closer – Soul Serenade – King Curtis

Join me next week with my in-studio guest, singer/songwriter Mark Elliott. I hope the mikes are working.

No comments: