Sunday, May 3, 2009

5/3/09 Blog/Playlist: By The Numbers

Opening theme—So What's New - Herb Alpert and the TJB
(It was a little quick to get started this morning. Automation before my show was a replay of a very nice show called "Acoustic Guitar Revival" which usually airs 12-2 Monday afternoons. I should have watched the clock though because I clipped in on an ID and a little bleed through in the archive from "Democracy Now)

Segment 1: Theme- By The Numbers

I have come up with a set of numbers songs for this morning. As I was preparing this, I noticed that one number in particular seems to come up a lot in songs of the baby boomer generation. That number is the number 16. I probably could have done an entire set of 16 songs if I had all the songs that came to mind. Most likely, that's because a popular song subject back then was turning 16 years old. It was a big milestone for a lot of us growing up. Honestly, I don't know if it's the same big deal for teenagers these days…I don't have any so I couldn't speak from experience. I just wonder if it was just a bigger part of the innocence of those times past. Anyhow, I'll start with a couple of those 16 songs.

Neil Sedaka – Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen
Sam Cooke – Only Sixteen
Johnny Burnette – You're Sixteen (I played it from a cassette--it seemed a little speeded up to me)
Three Dog Night – One
Lovin Spoonful – Six O'Clock
Gene Pitney – Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa

Segment 2: Picking Through the Record Box

I found a song that was a pretty good hit for Leo Sayer in the 70s but it was originally done by Bobby Vee.

Bobby Vee - More Than I Can Say
Association - Six Man Band
Vogues – Five O'Clock World
Sonny and Cher – Baby Don't Go

Segment 3: Soul Stew
Continuing the numbers theme for a bit…

Four Tops – Seven Rooms Of Gloom
Barbara Lewis – Make Me Your Baby
System – Don't Disturb This Groove (This was the song I wanted to play last week in the 80s show but it glitched on me. I was bound and determined to play it because I dig it, so I put it in this week.)
Mary Wells - Two Lovers

Segment 4: Non-oldie/Current/New (Outside the Box)

Les Kerr – Smile Upon Your Soul
Little Village – Don't Think About Her When You're Trying To Drive (John Hiatt, Nick Lowe, Jim Keltner, Ry Cooder "supergroup" in the 90s. I always dug this song so when I saw the CD in the library I decided I'm so playing this!)
Kim McLean - All About Us

Frequency To The Heart:
Wendy V's Encouraging Words: Remind Yourself Of Who You Are

Closer: King Curtis - Soul Serenade

Upcoming guest reminder:
May 17: Mark Elliott
May 24: Les Kerr (I finally met and heard him at the Pegram Park Writer's Night on Saturday. He did a new song that will be perfect for my show so I made the request of him to play it on the 24th. You'll love it.)

The rest of the show went okay, except I could use a speech coach. Add it to the list of things I want but can't afford right now, money or time wise (along with the guitar lessons...).

No comments: