Sunday, July 12, 2009

7/12/09 Blog/Playlist: International

Back on live this week after being off for the 4th of July weekend. The new CD players worked just fine. I tried a new system (or my version thereof) of arranging my CDs that my fellow DJ and next week's guest T.J. Kirby suggested to help me keep straight what I have in the players when. Thanks, T.J.!

Also, the automation from last week started as I hit my theme, but this time I knew how to shut it off and kick it out! Yay!

Segment 1: Theme- International
I noticed recently, especially since I got these "hard to find 45" collections I've been raving about, that I now have a few international/foreign language songs in my collection that were hits on the pop charts. So I started with a set of some of those this morning. I started with perhaps what is my favorite of all. There was an English language cover of this in the 80's by a Taste of Honey, but those lyrics were a bit far removed from what I understand to be the actual translation. The essence of the English meaning of this song is "looking up when walking so the tears won't fall". The song is Sukiyaki by Kyu Sakamoto.

Kyu Sakamoto – Sukiyaki
Singing Nun – Dominique
Emilio Percoli – Al Di La
Domenico Modugno – Volare
Miriam Makeba – Pata Pata
Lolita – Sailor (Your Home Is the Sea)
Sandpipers – Guantanamera

I figured I was going to have a time with some of the prounciations of these titles and artist names. I studied French in high school and college...so I'm afraid I wasn't as smooth with the German and Italian this morning!

Segment 2: Picking Through the Record Box
This past week I learned of the passing of Drake Levin, the original guitarist for Paul Revere and the Raiders. Being that the Raiders were my favorites when growing up, I have very vivid and joyful memories of watching "Where the Action Is" and seeing him and Fang jump around and dance with their guitars. So Drake, this one's for you.

Paul Revere and the Raiders – Just Like Me
Beatles – Sie Liebt Dich
Sanford and Townsend – Smoke From A Distant Fire
Shelby Flint – Angel on My Shoulder

Well, I am excited because I do have a guest coming on with me next week: TJ Kirby who is the host of TJ and Company here on Radio Free Nashville on Saturday afternoons from 3-5. He's a fun guy and besides being a radio personality he's also a songwriter, so we're going to talk radio and songwriting and it's just going to be a blast..a little different from the usual and be prepared to laugh! I do hope you'll tune in.

I also have a couple of other shameless self-promotion plugs for you: I will be doing a talk tomorrow for a fairly new music networking organization in town called Indie Connect. I will be speaking on how radio appearances can work effectively for artists. I'll be talking about finding radio stations to guest on, how to prep and how you can benefit. That's going to happen tomorrow at 11:30 a.m. at Corky's BBQ, 100 Franklin Road (Franklin Road and Old Hickory Blvd) in Brentwood. You can find out more information at www.indieconnect.net .

And on Tuesday, I will be sitting in for my dear friends Steve Haggard and Kimberly King on the Haggard-King Radio Hour from 4-5 p.m. while they are away playing gigs in Latvia. That should be a lot of fun and they've picked out some great music, so do tune in for that if you can.

Segment 3: Soul Stew

Aretha Franklin – Chain Of Fools
Supremes – Nothing But Heartaches
Jackie Ross – Selfish One
James and Bobby Purify – Let Love Come Between Us

Segment 4: Non-oldie/Current/New

I played a couple of artists who are international. I've mentioned this group from Scotland, OneDay40, who actually just got a record deal with a small independent Nashville label. Colt Records, and their album, Unfinished Business, is slated for a US release. Here's the song from the CD that has done well for them overseas.

OneDay40 – Sad Cowboy
Samantha Mooney (from Australia) – Love Of My Life

Frequency To The Heart
July 2009 Wendy V's Encouraging Words piece from www.embraceencouragement.com – Everything That Glitters

This was one of my better shows. I also got a nice word of encouragement from one of my songwriter friends...thanks, Pam, I needed that!

No comments: