Sunday, July 26, 2009

7/26/09 Blog/Playlist: All About Bobby

I had a couple of events to go to the night before the show, which kept me out and up a bit later than I should be. Of course, I paid for it this morning..my lack of sleep causing a few verbal fumble bumbles.

Opening theme: So What's New - Herb Alpert and Tijuana Brass

One name kept cropping up as I was going through my CD collection: Bobby. There are a few Bobby hitmakers out there so this first set today salutes some of those. But I couldn't help but start off with this song which is an ode to Bobby:

Marcie Blaine – Bobby's Girl
Bobby Rydell – I'll Never Dance Again
Bobby Darin - Dream Lover
James and Bobby Purify – I'm Your Puppet
Bobby Vee – The Night Has A Thousand Eyes
Bobby Hebb - Sunny (the dance mix strikes again! Back to CDs only...)

Segment 2: Picking Through the Record Box

Well, last week I had TJ Kirby on my show and it was a lot of fun. I was talking to him this week and we were both bemoaning the fact that we let go of a lot of our vinyl albums that we wished we still had because, well, in my case at least, who knew I'd be doing an oldies show out here after I moved? Sometimes you get lucky and you can recapture what you used to have on CD. I came across a Rhino compilation of Dionne Warwick's biggest hits, so I played something here and in the next set from that. This is one of my all time favorites.

Dionne Warwick – Promises Promises
Buffalo Springfield – On The Way Home (always loved the lyrics of this song, especially the first line that says "when the dream came, I held my breath with my eyes closed".)
Beatles – All I've Got To Do
Reflections – (Just Like) Romeo and Juliet

A couple of other things to plug—this is almost déjà vu from a couple of weeks ago with a different twist. First of all, I will once again this week be sitting in for Steve Haggard and Kimberly King on the Haggard and King Radio hour this coming Tuesday at 4 .p.m. while Steve and Kimberly are on a brief tour in Germany. Last time was fun, and this time, I'll have a co-host to talk to—our good friend and Wild Oats recording artist Garry Jackson will be joining me, so I'm looking forward to that.

Also, I noted last week TJ Kirby was on my show—well, this coming Saturday August 1 at 3 p.m. the tables will turn and I'll be on his show,TJ and Company, talking about what exactly it is I'm doing in this town!

And on next week's Never Too Old show, my guest will be singer/songwriter Denny Sarokin, author of the Lick*tionary DVD for guitar and former lead singer of Every Mother's Son. Do tune in for all of those!

Segment 3: Soul Stew
(I started running short on planned songs so I threw in a couple last minute. I've been sort of stiffing the soul set in recent weeks, so a makeup was due anyhow.)
Drifters – I Count The Tears
Dionne Warwick – Reach Out For Me
Temptations – I Could Never Love Another (After Loving You)
Gene McDaniels – A Hundred Pounds of Clay
Bobby Moore and the Rhythm Aces - Searching For My Love
Eddie Holman - Hey There Lonely Girl (originally done in 1963 by Ruby and the Romantics as "Hey There Lonely Boy")

Segment 4: New/Current/Out of the Box
I made this segment a George segment today. I took this George Strait greatest hits CD out of the library the other day and it ended up in my show bag. So I said, hey, well, why not, here's a guy that fits the demographic, still making great music today after about 25years of being at it. I picked one of my favorites of his.

George Strait – Amarillo By Morning
George Adams – Turn The Knife

If you've been thinking about taking a Western Caribbean cruise in the next month or so, you might want to look at the Carnival Legend cruise ship, because you'll get to hear George Adams. He's been performing on there for a few months now and the reports I'm getting is that he's knocking them dead out at sea...so good for him!

Frequency To The Heart:From Soap Bars to Raisin Boxes...

Encouragement can be found in the most unusual and unexpected places.

Raisins have always been one of my favorite foods. I often bought them by the small boxes and back when I had a job, took them with me to work for a snack before lunch. I'd noticed the inside flaps of these raisin boxes contained inspirational thoughts or sayings. I tore off a lot of those flaps and stuck them around my computer monitor where I could see them each day. People asked what the wing-like things were I have all over my monitor, and I invited them to read some of these. They were usually quite surprised to find they came off of a box of raisins. "Healthy foods, healthy thoughts" is how I look at that one.

Not long ago I bought a 4 bar package of soap. To my surprise, I found that the individual wrappers had inspiring sayings on them—written in English and French! Cleansing thoughts on cleansing bars...makes rather clever sense as well.

Encouragement and inspiration can be found in many places...the expected as well as those from out in left field. The challenge is to keep ourselves open to finding them and applying them to our lives.

Closer – Soul Serenade – King Curtis

No comments: