Sunday, August 2, 2009

8/2/09 Blog/Playlist: In-studio guest: Denny Sarokin

First, a few quick words about a couple of other WRFN shows I was on this past week.

I had fun co-hosting "The Haggard-King Radio Hour" with Garry Jackson. Things went a little more smoothly for me this time. We threw the history/births/deaths material together at the last minute. However, we may have had too much of a good time talking--even though we happened to start a couple of minutes early, we cut it close so one song had to be left out.

Saturday was my guest appearance on TJ Kirby's show "TJ and Company". I think it went pretty well...I know I had a great time being there and my face hurt from laughing. TJ is one very talented and dear person. He made me feel very relaxed. I did one of my "Encouraging Words" pieces and I was grateful for his comments and the discussion he set up after it. Since much of that appearance was talk, I may do some editing and post some excerpts from it on my website at a later date.

Tried out something new this morning...took my netbook to the studio with me. I thought it might be handy, especially if there's a guest on and you want to look up some last-minute information or something quick while you're on air. It was cool to have Denny's web page up in front of me to refer to. So I'll probably do it regularly as long as the thing works.

Opening theme: So What's New - Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass

Segment 1: Record Box - A short music segment relating to Denny and who he's worked with.

Buffalo Springfield – Rock and Roll Woman
Rick Nelson – Young World
Every Mother's Son – Come On Down To My Boat

Guest: Denny Sarokin


Denny Sarokin is pretty much a "Renaissance man" here in Nashville. He's been the lead singer of the aforeplayed Every Mother's Son and bandleader for Rick Nelson's Stone Canyon Band, he's an author, guitar instructor, session musician, songwriter and perhaps a few other things!

Before being part of Every Mother's Son, he was doing a folk duo with his brother. As with many young bands, having a big hit was Every Mother's Son was exciting. He and the bands were on one of the first promotional tours of its kind, played on the bill with artists like the Box Tops, Blues Magoos, Herman's Hermits and even the Who as the opening act! From there, he went on to become bandleader and guitarist for Rick Nelson's Stone Canyon Band.

Denny has a wonderful story about his song "Sanibel" being written recorded by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (he claims it probably holds the record for the longest "hold" on a song!). Read that story "Sanibel: A Songwriter's Odyssey" on his website.

If you're a budding guitarist who knows a few chords but want to learn much more in the way of tips and tricks, check out Denny's Licktionary package of a DVD and workbook.

I just had to squeeze in a song that Denny did for me when I ran into him at an event a couple of months ago, "Never Too Old To Rock and Roll". You may be hearing it in bits and pieces on the show in weeks to come, as Denny very graciously offered it up for future use. He performed it live this morning and it was great fun.

Other songs played:
Rick Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band - One Night Stand
Denny Sarokin - Sanibel
Denny Sarokin - Never Too Old To Rock and Roll

Closing theme - Soul Serenade - King Curtis

Plugs:
Denny will be at the Commodore Grille for Debi Champion's writers nights on Sunday, August 9 (I mistakenly said the 6th on air, but it is Sunday, August 9) and Sunday, August 23.

Websites:
www.dennysarokin.com (website is being revamped soon)
www.licktionary.com
e-mail: info@licktionary.com

Frequency To The Heart:
Wendy V's Encouraging Words - August 2009: Go The Distance

A great show, a great guest (who by the way was no stranger to Radio Free Nashville--Denny once hosted a political show on the station). Thanks, Denny!

All in all, a good and fun week for radio for me.

No comments: