Sunday, August 9, 2009

8/9/09 Blog/Playlist: Black and Blue

Segment 1: Theme: Black and Blue

My theme today was black and blue. Why did I pick this theme? Well, I had a bit of a freak mishap at home this past week. I caught my toe on the cord of my cell phone charger which was lying on the floor, and it yanked my foot. I ended up with a sprained foot which was black and blue in spots. It was pretty painful for a couple of days but now it's doing much better.

(Yeah, I should have read the underwriter announcement for Sole Supports, right? But I did it last week and it would have been too cheesy!)

I had a few suggestions for this set from my Facebook friends but alas I had none of them on CD. So here is what I did come up with.

Los Bravos – Black Is Black
Bobby Vinton – Blue On Blue
Beatles – Baby's In Black
Temptations – Girl (Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)
Checkmates – Black Pearl
Patsy Cline – Blue Moon of Kentucky

Segment 2: Record Box

I started this set with a couple of "hurt" songs (yes, I'm sucking as much sympathy as possible!).

Bill Deal and the Rondells – I've Been Hurt
Lou Rawls – Love Is A Hurtin' Thing
Blood Sweat and Tears – Just One Smile
American Breed – Bend Me Shape Me
Essex- A Walkin' Miracle

I threw that last one in for obvious reasons. Some people with foot injuries are laid up for a while but that's just not an option for me and I had no intention of stopping my life for it...just something to work around for a little bit.

Segment 3: Soul Stew
I haven't played Sam Cooke in a while lately so I got a track in by him. I played one that's a favorite of mine.
Sam Cooke – Nothing Can Change This Love
Barbara Lewis – Make Me Your Baby
Jimmy Ruffin – What Becomes of the Brokenhearted

Dates in Music History
I thought I'd try adding a new segment today. When I went to the website I'll be using for this feature, I saw that today's date was actually pretty boring. But there was one event in music history which happened the day before back in 1969: the famous shoot for the Beatles' "Abbey Road" album cover.

Segment 3: New/Current
I'm going to start plugging an event that is coming in a month from now. I am having a birthday celebration on September 9 at the Commodore Grille on the West End of Nashville, I got to pick some writers to play a couple of rounds for an hour (no, I am not one of them!) so I am going to feature music by some of those writers in the next few weeks in this spot. Festivities start at 6:30 pm on the 9th with the Wild Oats Records round featuring my friends Steve Haggard and Kimberly King, my birthday round following at 7 p.m. I'll have more info on that in the Nashville Blend blog at wvnashblend.blogspot.com so if you're in the area, hope you'll stop by that evening.

John Velora – Holdin Out
Steve Haggard – If She Only Had A Heart

Since Steve Haggard and Kimberly King of the Haggard-King Radio Hour which is heard here on Tuesday afternoons from 4-5 were so kind to put their show in my hands for a couple of weeks while they were out touring, I thought I'd play something from Steve Haggard's CD which is called Love Conquers All. That one's a catchy tune I like a lot.

Frequency To The Heart
Since I was ruminating about my injured foot, I thought I'd share a piece I wrote some years ago called "If The Shoe Fits".

Closer – Soul Serenade – King Curtis

One of the cleanest, glitch-free shows I ever had! Did run a little short on stuff and had to fill, so it's sure a good thing to have the computer in the studio with me to grab info to read to fill in.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sam's "Nothing Can Change This Love" is love is highly underrated. Thanks for adding it to your list.

Erik Greene
www.OurUncleSam.com