Sunday, August 23, 2009

8/23/09 Blog/Playlist: World

Pretty much threw this show together today due to my temp job schedule...been working a lot this week.

Opening theme - So What's New - Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass

Segment 1: Theme - World

I thought we'd get a little worldly on the show today. I've got a few songs with a unique look at the world, starting with a song which was a hit in 1957 by a British teenager, Laurie London.

Laurie London – He's Got the Whole World In His Hands
Cilla Black – You're My World
Vogues – Five O' Clock World
Sam Cooke – Wonderful World
Deon Jackson – Love Makes the World Go Round
Ricky Nelson – Young World

Segment 2: Record Box
This first song was my theme for a little bit when I first started here on Saturday afternoon.
Beatles – Rock and Roll Music
Roy Head – Treat Her Right
Four Jacks and a Jill – Master Jack
Jimmy Gilmer and the Fireballs – Sugar Shack

Dates In Music History (courtesy www.musicorb.com)
Some Beatles-related items:
1962 - John Lennon weds Cynthia Powell
1963 - Beatles release "She Loves You" in UK
1963 - Ringo admits he wrote a song "Don't Pass Me By"
1968 - Ringo quits Beatles over a disagreement, temporarily
1974 - John Lennon reports seeing a UFO in NYC
Notable birthdays:
1936 - Rudy Lewis, rocker (Drifters)
1947 - Keith Moon, English rock drummer (Who-I'm A Boy)

Segment 3: Soul Stew
Temptations – Ball of Confusion
Brook Benton – So Many Ways
Brenton Wood – Gimme Little Sign
Aretha Franklin – Call Me
Impressions – I'm So Proud

Segment 3: New/Current
Sort of a hat tip to "world music" with this cut. I played something by one of the good guys in the singer/songwriter community here in Nashville, a great friend to a lot of folks–-Sam Cooper, from his CD Sam Cooper Boulevard. Hanging on to what's left of summer...

Sam Cooper – Reggae Summer
Randi Perkins – Little Girl In A Lady's Shoes
Randi is another of the writers who will be playing at my birthday round on September 9. Find more info about this on my Nashville Blend blog.

Frequency To The Heart

Speaking of "the world", if you think you can't impact anyone's world, think again. The world indeed can be a brighter place, one person at a time...and it starts with each of us. It can only take a kind word, a word of encouragement at just the right moment. There are so many stories out there about how encouragement has impacted people's lives. Be willing to give and accept encouragement, and yours can be one of them.

Closer – Soul Serenade – King Curtis

Another pretty good show today. I know I'm getting good at doing tight segues between songs. I attribute this to the mentorship I've been getting--thanks, TJ.

No comments: