Sunday, October 11, 2009

10/11/09 Blog/Playlist: Music That Heals

To be honest with you, it's been a rough week. Disappointments, hurts, unexpected expenses, passings, other annoying problems. A dear friend of mine brought me over for lunch and we watched a video of Chicago and Earth, Wind and Fire together in concert. Both of those bands still had it...and the songs we loved and the energy that poured forth did a lot of good for my soul. I think we all know that music has healing properties. There are a lot of soothing instrumentals that are created just for that purpose. It can be, and often is, about song lyrics that manage to express just what it is that you feel at that moment. Other times, like on the video, it's just an energetic and uptempo song that gives you a lift. You just want to feel good, ya know? So I'm starting with a set of songs which for me serve that purpose. Now on this first one you may not understand the language, but I don't think you need to – the spirit's universal.

Miriam Makeba – Pata Pata
Nathaniel Mayer - Village of Love
Brenda Lee – Dum Dum
Major Lance – Um, Um, Um, Um, Um, Um (This guy had the right idea..come up with a melody to hum when you're feeling down)
Johnny Nash - Hold Me Tight (very last minute change and a good one--with the "ba ba ba ba" etc. fitting in well with the previous two songs)
Reflections - Just Like Romeo and Juliet

There's talk from time to time about getting a camera here in the studio. If there had been, you'd have seen me rocking in my chair. People have noticed that I do that when I'm out listening to music. I've been doing it since I was about 3 years old. I just can't sit still when I'm listening to music. You can't always get up and dance, so I "chair dance" when the spirit moves. There were times when I was younger I'd get so into it that I've even broken a chair or two (but I watch it here in the studio!). But it's also a comfort thing for me, too.

Record Box
One of my all time favorite albums is the Drifters Golden Hits. I played one of my particular favorites, one that doesn't get as much play as some of their better known hits.

Drifters – Dance With Me
Swinging Medallions – Double Shot of My Baby's Love
Beatles – I'll Be Back
Go West - King Of Wishful Thinking

Soul Stew
Nothing like a good dose of Motown to perk you up, right? Starting out with something by the Supremes.

Supremes – Come See About Me
Four Tops – It's The Same Old Song
Temptations – Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Wilson Pickett – 634-5789
Temptaions - Get Ready (hard to decide between two Tempts songs--so decided to do them both!)

Current/Non-oldie/out of the box

Sometimes when things are not going well, you just have to get away to regroup and recover. Here's a lovely song on that subject by Eliza Gilkyson.

Eliza Gilkyson – Coast
Matchbox 20 – Unwell (Live acoustic version. Maybe slightly out of show demographic but there's something about Rob Thomas for me. Whether it's something in his voice or his songs, he just seems to nail whatever I'm going through.)
Mark Lowry – When The Sun Comes Out Again

(OK,that set together just about did me in...glad I had tissues...)

Frequency To The Heart
I might call this a note to self for this week, but this is for all of you too: When you're going through a rough time, it's very important to take care of you. Be sure you are surrounding yourself with supportive and encouraging people who care for you, who give you energy and don't drain your soul and your spirit. Don't settle for less...it may mean stepping back from people and situations that can't serve that purpose, however difficult it may be to do. Do those comfort things that will help your heart until you see that peek of sunshine coming through again.

Opening theme: Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass – So What's New
Closing theme: King Curtis - Soul Serenade

Coming up on NTO:
Next week – Devil or Angel theme set
Then we are off for the weekend of October 23/24 for the WRFN barnraising, where we prepare to switch to 107.1 and install a new antenna and make some studio improvements. I will be back on November 1 at 107.1 when my guest will be Lance Hoppen of Orleans. So I do hope you'll follow me for that!

I was VERY happy with how the show went. I think it was one of the best shows I've ever done. I hope it helped some folks who may have been needing a lift.

Next week will be better.

No comments: