Sunday, October 18, 2009

10/18/09 Blog/Playlist: Devil or Angel

Opening: Herb Alpert and Tijuana Brass - So What's New
Segment 1: Theme - Devil or Angel
What side do you come down on? Do you come off like an angel or do you have a bit of a devilish side to you? We'll take a look at a few songs that cover either or both sides of that coin starting with a song that covers the theme and this question.

Bobby Vee – Devil or Angel
Elvis Presley – (You're the) Devil In Disguise
Beatles – Devil In Her Heart
Shelby Flint – Angel On My Shoulder
Neil Sedaka – Next Door To An Angel
Aretha Franklin – Angel

I almost forgot about that Aretha Franklin song, even though I'd always loved it.

Many times, as I do these sets, I get some folks guessing about what I'm going to play. But more often than not I either won't have the song since I use my own collection or occasionally the station's. Plus, when given a choice I really try to avoid the obvious song that any other stations that still air this music would pick.

Segment 2: Picking Through the Record Box
Well, with Halloween coming up, I wanted to get at least one weird song in. This one's got sort of an eerie and spooky storyline to it: Dickey Lee, with the story of "Laurie".

Dickey Lee – Laurie
Ral Donner – You Don't Know What You've Got Until You Lose It
Sarah Vaughn – Broken Hearted Melody
Lou Christie – Two Faces Have I
Impalas – Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home)

I got hold of another in the Hard To Find 45 CD series from which I played the Impalas and Sarah Vaughn songs. I was just noting on the Eric Records site which produces the series that the Volume 1 CD is now pretty rare. I got this copy out of the library, so it was pretty cool that I was able to find it under those circumstances!

Just a reminder that next weekend we'll be off the air because we'll be getting ready for the switch over to 107.1 FM. So be sure that you set your dials for 107.1 and be back with me on November 1 when my guest will be Lance Hoppen of Orleans. Also coming up on the show is singer/songwriter Marc-Alan Barnette on November 8 and coming soon "Complicated Love—the sequel"!

Segment 3: Soul Stew
I would have loved to fit the first song in last week's feelgood show but didn't have it handy.
Spinners – I'll Be Around
Edwin Starr – Agent Double O Soul
Stylistics – You Are Everything
Tony Clarke – The Entertainer

Segment 4: Non-oldie/Current/New

There is an organization called Bring Peace Not Pain which has been having a Peace Song Challenge. One of the songs entered in this challenge is this angel song by Randi Perkins.
Randi Perkins – Army Of Angels
Eve Selis- Angels and Eagles
Alan O'Day – I Hear Voices

Alan O'Day will be the featured writer, performing with his producer Denny Martin, at the Commodore Grill Wednesday evening, going on at about 8 p.m.

Frequency To The Heart:
If you've been listening closely to the devil and angels songs in the show this morning, you can probably tell that I tend to favor angels. We can encounter wolves in sheep's clothing. We've all probably come across people like that. But I like to think of this world as basically good. I believe there are angels among us in our everyday lives and I know I can speak to that personally. There are a lot of hurting people out there right now. Think about how you can be an angel to someone in need.

Closing: King Curtis - Soul Serenade

I'd rate this week's show pretty good. My throat had a bit of junk in it at times. It's probably not a good idea to be clearing it on mike so I just had to roll with it...but oh well.

Everybody sleep in next week--back on November 1 on 107.1 FM!

No comments: