Saturday, October 18, 2008

10/18/08 Playlist - Great Voices

Woo hoo--this was I think the best show I've done yet. No technical glitches, no wrong buttons pushed, I stayed fairly focused and relaxed!

My unofficial theme was "great voices". I love instruments but there's something about a great voice that captures my attention like nothing else.

Playlist:

4 Tops - I Can't Help Myself (RIP Levi Stubbs)
Patsy Cline - Imagine That
Petula Clark - Don't Sleep In the Subway
Floyd Cramer - Last Date

(Here's the thing: I've got this compilation disk together and I believe I have about 20 songs on it. However, one of the CD players at the station apparently doesn't like one of the songs and isn't recognizing it. So, when I've cued up a song from it the last couple of times, I've gotten the song after the one I wanted. I've learned to get used to it and roll with it. That's how an instrumental got into a great voices set.)

Lovin Spoonful - You Didn't Have To Be So Nice
Paul Revere and the Raiders - Kicks
Blues Project - No Time Like the Right Time
Rascals - Lonely Too Long

Sam Cooke- Nothing Can Change This Love. (I forgot to make this observation on air. Someday, listen to this song and "Loving, Touching, Squeezing" by Journey together. Methinks Steve Perry was attempting to channel Sam in this song.)
4 Tops - Ask the Lonely
Arthur Alexander - Anna
Esther Phillips - Release Me
(As I said, I should have flipped the order of those last two--lyrically would have made more sense. Hindsight 20/20.)

Michael McDonald - Baby I Need Your Loving
Mark Lowry - Whatcha Need
Alan O' Day - I Hear Voices (please check out the video for this song)
Gene Pitney - Town Without Pity
Herb Alpert and the TJB - So What's New

If you heard the show, I hope you tuned in early for the Geo on the Radio rebroadcast of Alex Harvey's in-studio performance. It was special. As Mark Lowry likes to say, "God showed up" in the studio that day. I do hope you also listen to Bobby Bob's Rock and Roll Revolution earlier at noon and Backstory on the Radio with River Jordan after me. I love my fellow DJ's shows and I'm honored to be in the same lineup as these folks.

No comments: