Monday, October 27, 2008

Radio Days (Last Night A DJ Saved My Life)

(That song happened to come on the streaming radio as I was writing this, so I had to include it in the title.)

We interrupt your regularly scheduled playlist rundown for this reflection.

So it's been a few weeks now that I started doing this show on Radio Free Nashville. How's it going? Well, I've been journaling some of that here. But it's funny how you walk into an experience and you have some expectation about what you're going to get from it...and it turns out to be much more than what you bargained for.

I am blessed to be scheduled where I am in the Saturday lineup. The djs in the slots around me have raised the bar high. At this point, I am the rookie in the midst of it all, the little peanut that jumps up that tries to meet it. Once or twice I'm able to touch it fast with at least a couple of fingers. It'll take time, I know, before I'm able to fully grab it. But after all, patience has never been one of my great virtues.

What I have gotten from it is much more than getting a chance to come in and play music and indulge my little penchant for sharing all these music trivia facts I've gathered in my head since I was at least 10 years old. It's been new friends. People whose eyes don't glaze over when you're doing all this rambling on about some song or singer. It's sharing the goose bump moments. Learning that just by simply giving those who've been at their music for 20, 30 years or so a chance to be heard is making a big difference for such a time as this.

Like the next song that started streaming as I wrote this, these are the sweetest days.

Thanks for tuning in on the journey.

No comments: