Saturday, October 11, 2008

10/11/08 Playlist - Technology is our friend (not always)

So I started my show a couple of minutes early...I began talking about Silver Stars at the Ryman last weekend. I was in the middle of thanking Billy Block for introducing me to Brenda Lee when suddenly we started hearing the automation kick in for one of my previous shows. Then, the online catalog disappeared and the computer started doing its own thing, much like if you're having a technical problem and a technician takes over your computer to resolve it. "Geo on the Radio", who is on before me, and I are shaking our heads wondering what on earth is happening. I didn't know whether to talk or what, so I stammered my way through the first couple of minutes of the show.

Eventually we learned that it was a couple of things: my automation from last week when I was off doing training hadn't cleared and there was some setup going on for the remote broadcast that River Jordan, whose "Backstory" show follows me, was doing from the Southern Book Festival. It kind of threw me off for the rest of the hour and I had to change a few things on the fly...luckily I had an hour's worth of CDs with me since I didn't have use of the online catalog. Anyhow, eventually I forged ahead:

Playlist:
Connie Francis-Many Tears Ago and Where The Boys Are (while we were trying to figure out what was happening)
Patsy Cline - Stupid Cupid (it was Connie's hit, but this was Patsy's live version from the "Live From The Cimarron Ballroom" CD)
Brenda Lee - All You Gotta Do

Beau Brummels- Laugh Laugh
Barbara Mason - Baby I'm Yours
Young Rascals - Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore

Electric Prunes - Too Much To Dream
Uniques- Not Too Long Ago
American Breed - Bend Me Shape Me
Grass Roots - Where Were You When I Needed You

Pat Boone - Moody River
Drifters- Sweets For My Sweet

Current:
Terry Pinnegar - Mississippi 1916 (from Silver Stars compilation disc)
Simpli Lauri - Flying Free (single track)
Boomer Castleman - Never Say Never Again (Silver Stars compilation)
Joe Cruz - Good Luck Man (Good Luck Man)

Tribute to Lloyd Thaxton:
LA Times obit feature
Lloyd Thaxton blog

In reference to Lloyd's show closing where he'd say "my name is Lloyd Thaxton" and the teens dancing on the show would respond, "So What?", I played a little of his end theme to end my show today: "So What's New" by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.

What can I say? Sometimes technology is a great thing, and sometimes it ain't.

I really wanted a smooth show today. Next time will be better. I figure it's going to take me a year to get good at this. Hope you'll hang with me.

PS: Oh, I forgot--one cool thing was I stopped in to the station earlier and met Bobby Bob, who hosts Rock and Roll Revolution, an all-oldies show from 12-1. I'm a big fan of his show and I finally decided I needed to meet this guy and give him a word of encouragement.

No comments: