Saturday, December 20, 2008

12/20/08 Playlist - A Twist On Christmas

This show was sort of a special edition. I did a "Twist On Christmas" and loosened up the format a bit today. I had some of the usual oldies mixed in with some songs of the season you might have grown up with some cute and kooky types of holiday tunes.

Now let me see a show of hands here: who among us grew up in the 60s and thereabouts like I did with Johnny Mathis' Merry Christmas album? My family played it over and over again until it became etched in my brain as it is to this day.

Sleigh Ride – Johnny Mathis
Tonights the Night – Shirelles
Come and See What's Happening In the Barn – Stephen Hill and Woody Wright (one of the most creative Christmas songs I've ever heard; co-written by Woody Wright, Bill and Gloria Gaither, Michael Sykes)
Havin' A Party – Sam Cooke
Frosty the Blues Man- Denver and the Mile High Orchestra - that is their most requested song

My good friend Gigi Swanson, who is a songwriter, got in touch with me about a Christmas song she co-wrote with Diona Devincenzi. It's a song about a woman's opinion on the ideal way of celebrating the holiday. I heard it and I think I am right on with her about it –this sounds really good to me!

Merry Christmas to Me – Diona Devincenzi (video link)
How Did We Live Without Christmas? – Mark Lowry (featuring his Christmas album "Mary Did You Know" today. If you are familiar with the song "Mary Did You Know?" Mark Lowry co – wrote it with Buddy Greene. I am humbled to know both those guys personally).
Amen – the Impressions
Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) – Darlene Love (from the legendary Phil Spector Christmas album)
Christmas Wrapping – the Waitresses (I love this one about a gal chasing a guy amidst the seasonal hustle and bustle and tracking him down in a grocery store--and getting him)

As Mark himself would say, "it's my show!" and I indulged myself because he has to my ears been the #1 male singer in my world for the past seven years. So, I played his version of this holiday classic because I think he does an awesome job.
The Christmas Song – Mark Lowry
Marshmallow World - Darlene Love (also from the legendary Phil Spector Christmas album)

Encouragement: I brough Mark back in to give a message for us all.
Let There Be Peace On Earth – Mark Lowry

Remember there's an encore broadcast next week. I want to thank everyone for listening to me or reading my blog this year.

The music was good, there were a couple of usual technical glitches, but I didn't like my on-air performance today. I don't think I slept at all last night due to sinus problems and a brain that wouldn't shut down. Then there was the decision about the show that I felt I had to make due to my situation. All those things affected me. Ah well. I think a break will be good to recharge the battery.

No comments: