Sunday, December 7, 2008

Support Radio Free Nashville

This is an on-air pitch I did on the 12/6/08 show:

We're getting to the end of the year and you may be making some difficult decisions in these tight times about year end giving. I'd like to have you think about considering a gift to Radio Free Nashville. Those of you locally probably realize what a great community resource it is...it's been involved in some wonderful things this past year, just to name a few the Homelessness Marathon, the Young Voices of Nashville, the Oasis Center which had a benefit show last month, a new local news division and expansion of the signal. I'm sure there will be other activities coming up in the new year which as a fairly new programmer I can't wait to be part of.

From a musical programming standpoint as well, RFN offers something that's very rare and precious in radio these days. I know I am blessed to be part of our Saturday afternoon lineup which I've often called the best in town. You will really be hard pressed to find a musical mix like this certainly in commercial radio.

First off, we've got Bobby Bob's Rock and Roll Revolution. I love him...he's a throwback to the times when top 40 radio was fun. Bobby and his alter ego "Popsy" with his hysterical philosophies and observations are just a riot.

Geo On the Radio, what he's doing is just brilliant radio. He's got great musical taste and he puts sets together that can entertain you one minute and zing your heart the next. I know I've learned about so many wonderful artists just by listening to his show (especially one I'm going to play for you later) and some terrific guests he's interviewed, like Steve Leslie this afternoon. The one interview I'll never forget is Alex Harvey. I remember being in the studio listening to the rebroadcast and experiencing a gamut of emotions...I'm a major fan of him now. Radio that impacts your soul like this is hard to put a price on.

Then there's Backstory with River Jordan, a dear lady who is a very gifted writer and storyteller, also plays some wonderful music and features a wide range of authors. And me, well, I've said this before: I'm just very fortunate to be dropped in the middle here and live a dream and share with you as a music fan and a writer and encourage a population that gets overlooked and undervalued these days.

We can probably all think of programs that were dear to us at one time or another which disappeared due to lack of support and broke our hearts. So, if you've enjoyed anything you've heard on Radio Free Nashville, whether it's my show or one of my fellow DJs anywhere in the program schedule, I hope you'll think about lending support for keeping the great programming going.

Here's how you can do that: Write a check payable to Radio Free Nashville and send it to Post Office Box 41488, Nashville, Tennessee 37204. Visit the web site at www.radiofreenashville.org and make a donation via PayPal, through your PayPal account or on your credit card. Or become a sustainer and make a monthly donation through PayPal, adopt-a-bill, or make a workplace donation through Community Shares. Of course your donations are all tax-deductible.

Thanks!

No comments: