Sunday, June 14, 2009

6/14/09 Blog/Playlist: Change of Plans...

Well, let's just say this morning's show was "memorable". Unfortunately, not for the right reasons.

First of all, there was a schedule mixup with Boomer Castleman, who I planned to have on as a guest. When I didn't see him at airtime, I called him during a song to track him down. There was a time misunderstanding so we ended up rescheduling for next week. Those things you can work with and always have a plan B for. That wasn't the worst of it. While I was talking to him on my cell phone, midway through I realized I left the dang mike up! When I get anxious or nervous, I tend to lose attention to detail. So, any who were listening heard my end of the conversation, unfortunately. Thankfully I was nice and cordial on the phone. Boomer, bless his heart, offered to reschedule for next week. I am grateful he would want to come on at all after this. I don't really blame anyone for hesitating to get up at 8 in the morning to be on the show. I've been getting up at early hours since high school because I always had those 8:00 classes, so the habit stuck with me.

I apologized to the audience and slid under the table as our program director, Beau Hunter, came walking through the door. I thought for sure I would be removed from the air. If it were big time radio, I'd have been fired on the spot. But instead, Beau, being the gracious and understanding person that he is, laughed at me. He claimed I was actually carrying out the purpose of the station. The idea being to encourage people listening to folks with (in)competency levels like mine and thinking "I can do better than that!" to come to the station with their show ideas and be part of it. And, you can do that by checking out www.radiofreenashville.org if you are one of those who feel led. If nothing else, you'll make some great friendships, which I always say has been the biggest bonus for me in this whole thing.

So what I ended up doing is the show I planned for next week, which was to feature tracks from this great set of compilation CDs I got called "Hard To Find 45s". I got three of the CDs and there is lots of great stuff. So most of what I played today came from there. By the time I got to this point of the show, I was so flustered that I literally loaded the CDs, just picked random track numbers and let it rip and wrote them down after the fact. So here's all I played:

Opening theme—So What's New TJB

Lou Christie - Lightning Strikes
Los Bravos - Black Is Black
Lesley Gore- California Nights
Nathaniel Mayer - Village of Love
Tommy Roe - Everybody
Nancy Wilson - How Glad I Am
Blues Project - Fly Away
Seekers - I'll Never Find Another You
Bobby Darin - You're The Reason I'm Living
4 Jacks and A Jill - Master Jack
Verdelle Smith - Tar and Cement
Gene Mc Daniels - 100 Pounds of Clay
Clyde McPhatter - Lover Please
Miriam Makeba - Pata Pata

Randi Perkins - Army of Angels
Mark Elliott- Not All Who Wander Are Lost
(my comment for this morning--not all who are lost wander!!)

Frequency To The Heart
First in my 3 part message on the three ways of embracing encouragement. The first way: giving encouragement to others. The encourager could have used some of her own advice.

Closer – Soul Serenade – King Curtis

On the way home, I spotted not one, but two, skunks coming down the road opposite me. Appropriate, I thought, for my performance today. I rolled up the windows and sped up.

My apologies to all who were disappointed. We'll try again next week.

No comments: