Sunday, June 28, 2009

6/27/09 Blog/Playlist: Sailin'

I felt like I did the show with one arm tied behind my back this morning. I had only one working CD player at the studio, so I had to flip those discs in and out of there as quickly as I could. But I didn't lose too much time in the pacing of the show.

Opening theme—So What's New - Herb Alpert and the TJB

Segment 1: Theme: Sailing
Well you know, with warm weather, you just want to be outside a lot and one thing folks like to do is hit the water. These "Hard To Find 45s" CDs I've been telling you about helped me put together today's first set theme, which is on sailing. So we drew from those and some other tracks for that one this morning. So don't miss the boat, now—get on board!

Frankie Ford – Sea Cruise
Bobby Darin – Beyond the Sea
Looking Glass – Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)
Lolita – Sailor (Your Home Is the Sea)
Diane Renay – Navy Blue

Segment 2: Picking Through the Record Box
We're going to dig more into the "Hard To Find 45" CDs for most of this next set. I have two more songs about sailing for you first, though. I'll start with a group from the 60s whose lead singer, Denny Sarokin, is a well known singer/songwriter and guitar instructor here in Nashville and he will be a guest on my show August 2.

Every Mother's Son – Come On Down To My Boat
Styx – Come Sail Away (I was a big Styx fan in the 80. When the group did "Come Sail Away" at shows, alot of us fans would face in the direction of Chicago and salute at the line "on board, I'm a captain." Maybe they still do.)
Thomas Wayne – Tragedy (by request-Happy Birthday Steve!)
Caravelles – You Don't Have To Be A Baby To Cry
Julie Rogers – The Wedding
Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas – Bad To Me


Segment 3: Soul Stew

Temptations – You've Got To Earn It
Sweet Inspirations – Sweet Inspiration
Bobby Moore and the Rhythm Aces – Searching for My Love
Jackson 5 - I'll Be There (a sadly obvious choice)

Segment 4: Non-oldie/Current/New

Going to start talking about an event that I have coming up in September. I mentioned last week in my interview with Boomer Castleman that my birthday is September 9. Well, I'll be celebrating that at the Commodore Grill here in Nashville with a round with some great writers. I'll tell you more as the time gets closer but I do want to play a track by a writer who will be there. This is Louise Mosrie and you can catch her today at 2 p.m. at Norm's River Road House.

Louise Mosrie – God Lives In Arkansas

Frequency To The Heart
Part 3 of the 3 ways to Embrace Encouragement – Owning Encouragement

Now you might think, isn't owning encouragement the same thing as accepting encouragement? Not really. One has to come before the other. If you aren't going to accept encouragement, it's mighty hard to believe in yourself enough to own the encouragement. The encouragement given to you is external. Once you have truly accepted and absorbed it, then you've begun to own it as true.

Sometimes that’s hard to do when you’re facing rejection, encountering roadblocks, and things aren’t coming together as you’ve hoped...just yet.

There’s a reason why I paused there. You know deep down inside why you’re doing what you’re doing. You have a God given talent, a calling, or a message. Trust it. Things don’t always happen on our timetable...or exactly in the way you planned. It may not be the circumstance you're counting on. Lots of times, it’s that thing that comes out of left field. Somebody saw your website link in some odd place, went to hear your sound clip and was touched by what they heard. Or someone found out about you from someplace or someone else...maybe an avenue you weren't ever aware of. Be open and keep your hope and faith alive.

So the three ways to embrace encouragement—give it, accept it, own it.

Closer – Soul Serenade – King Curtis

All things considered, not too bad a show. I'm not live next week--I'll be rerunning the "Folk 60s" show from March. I will have a new blog entry though--I have something special planned.

No comments: