Sunday, June 7, 2009

6/7/09 Blog/Playlist: Baby!

Nature had its impact on the show today. Nashville and surrounding areas have a lot of woods. Woods around here mean deer. Every time I drive to the studio (or just around any such areas) I pray to God that the deer stay away from me. I cannot afford them impaling themselves on my car right now. They are beautiful creatures but they need to stay in the woods where they belong. Well, they were out in force this morning. One bounded along Highway 100 and fortunately I was able to stay back and anticipate it leaping back to the other side of the road. The other was in the area right near the station and luckily it stayed out of my way.

Opening theme—So What's New - Herb Alpert & TJB

Segment 1: Theme- Baby
The theme today is songs with the word "baby" in the title. None of these actually refer to babies at all...as you might guess it's about "baby" as term of endearment for a sweetheart. I'm also doing this in the Soul Stew set, because there are just so many soul songs with the word "baby" in the title. I'd been kind of curious as to just how calling one's lover "baby" got started. I tried to do a little research on it but didn't come up with much except for a Wikipedia entry which states that "baby" was first used as a term of endearment in 1839.

Grass Roots – Baby Hold On
Sonny and Cher – Baby Don't Go
Bruce Chanel – Hey Baby
Patsy Cline – He Called Me Baby
Four Seasons – Bye Bye Baby

Segment 2: Picking Through the Record Box

We'll get back to our baby theme a little bit later but for now we'll just pick through and see what comes up here. Let's start with Pat Boone.

Pat Boone – Moody River
Beatles – I'll Get You
Swinging Medallions – Double Shot of My Baby's Love

Something coming up: June 19 – 21 is the Annual Songwriters Festival down on Music Row in Nashville with dozens of songwriters on several stages. There are workshops and open rounds to get in on as well. Find out more on that at www.songwritersfestival.com . Yours truly Wendy V will be emceeing on Saturday from 3:30-7:30 on the Sure Fire Web Cast stage, so I hope you come out! Looking at the schedule, one of the people I'll be introducing happens to be my guest on the show next week...Boomer Castleman! Boomer has been part of the music scene since the 60s in several ways and he's still going strong today so we'll have lots to talk about and music to hear. By the way, thanks to everyone for all the nice compliments on the guest interview shows recently. I'll try to have more for you in the future; I'm waiting to hear back from a few folks right now.

Back to nature thing...here's where things started going downhill. As I was talking, a huge mosquito crawled across the desk. So while I was talking, I was taking my script and crushing this huge sucker.

Segment 3: Soul Stew

A lot of soul hits with "baby".

Four Tops – Baby I Need Your Loving
Supremes – Baby Love
Temptations – My Baby
Aretha Franklin – Since You've Been Gone (Sweet Sweet Baby)
Barbara Lewis – Baby I'm Yours

Then the trainwreck occurs. I found "Are You Lonely For Me" by Freddie Scott in the playout library and wanted to play it first. As you recall, I had a playout problem last time. When I got here this morning, the program director told me things were changed and there was now a volume slider on the console for the playout system. I I put the slider up all the way. Again, no sound. And because I was expecting that to work, I didn't cue up the next cut. So the track I hit was not the Supremes but Bob Kuban's "The Cheater". Well, I wouldn't let that go as I was bound and determined to salvage the "baby" soul set. I momentarily lost track of the Supremes cut so I had to vamp while I grabbed the Four Tops track and put it in the player. I hesitated a bit and started plugging Goodsearch.com on which you can help Radio Free Nashville (or charity of your choice) earn donations everytime you shop online.

At that moment, I would have given anything to be Dan Ingram, the legendary top 40 DJ who is the king of the one liners and quick responses. He'd have come up with a good line or two. Thank God this isn't big time radio. I sure wouldn't last very long. Anyway, I eventually got the train back on the track and moving again.

Segment 4: Non-oldie/Current/New

A friend of mine back in St. Paul does have a song about babies (the real ones) so I played it. This set actually ended up spanning the range from infancy to parenthood.

TD Mischke – Babies
Kim McLean – Pearl
Mark Lowry – Nothing To Hide

Frequency To The Heart – June's Wendy V's Encouraging Words column: True To the Calling

Closer – Soul Serenade – King Curtis

Boomer Castleman is the guest next week. Thank God. These guest shows have gone smoother than the music shows, so I should do more of them.

No comments: