Sunday, February 1, 2009

2/1/09 Playlist: 1964

Opening theme: So What's New - TJB

Underwriter: Today I redeemed myself by reading the underwriter announcement for Sole Supports and pronouncing the word "orthotics" clearly and correctly!

Unfortunately, once again, the mouth working flawlessly did not continue throughout the show. I was telling my fellow DJ, Kerry Miller, whose show "Samurai Songs" follows mine, about my snafu the first time I did the Sole Supports announcement and he said "Oh well...sometimes we put our feet in our mouths." A perfect observation. (By the way, sorry, Kerry...I almost got the prounication of "shakuhachi" right. Next time, perhaps.)

Segment 1: 1964
Today I took a look at the year 1964. This week will be the 45th anniversary of the Beatles' arrival in America—an event which was, of course, a pivotal one in pop music history and pop culture. For those of you who weren't there, if you were but you were too young to remember what it was like, or if you just want to relive what it sounded and felt like...I set the scene with a :15 Beatles segment from a CD called "20th Century Time Capsule". It was from a press conference when the Beatles explained how they got the group name ("We could have been called shoes for all you know...").
Beatles - Can't Buy Me Love
Dionne Warwick – Walk On By
Beatles – This Boy
Reflections – Romeo and Juliet
Beatles - I Call Your Name
Nashville Teens – Tobacco Road (actually a group from England)

A Beatles related tale for you: Dad wasn't a big fan of all that rock and roll, but when it came to doing something for us, he'd get in on the act. I remember that he called a local radio station in a mock British accent to try to win us some tickets to the premiere of the Beatles movie "A Hard Day's Night". Alas, his acting was in vain--all he heard at the other end was a recorded message. I think we did get tickets somehow because I do remember going.

By the way, this week was another Beatles related anniversary, the 40th of their famous rooftop "Get Back" performance. Here in downtown Nashville an excellent tribute band, the Wanna Beatles, performed a rooftop concert at Rippy's Barbecue this past Friday. It was a lot of fun and I even got interviewed for the TV news show, got to plug my show, not a bad deal!

Segment 2: Picking Through the Record Box
Keep in mind as we pick through the record box that 1964 was still very much a transitional year as far as the music charts went. If you look at a top 100 chart for the year, it was still a wide stylistic mix. The British invasion did not totally overrun the charts as yet, which I must admit surprised me. Traditional pop music for example was still very much a strong presence, producing hit records like this Louis Armstrong classic that went to the top of the charts.
Louis Armstrong – Hello Dolly
Four Seasons- Big Man In Town
Roy Orbison – Oh Pretty Woman
Gene Pitney – It Hurts To Be In Love
Rolling Stones – It's All Over Now
Bobby Rydell – Forget Him

I've had a couple of comments left at the blog and last week I had one from a great-nephew of Sam Cooke, who is the author of a book about him called "Our Uncle Sam"—that was pretty exciting. I certainly do invite you to comment as well.

Segment 3: Soul Stew
Back in 1964 the Motown sound started to become a major musical presence. One of the most successful groups in that year was the Supremes. Though they made a significant chart debut in 1963 ("When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes), '64 was when they really charged onto the scene with a huge string of hits.
Supremes – Come See About Me
Temptations – Girl Why You Wanna Make Me Blue
Drifters – Under The Boardwalk
Sam Cooke - Ain't That Good News

Next week on the show I'm going to be marking a holiday of sorts that happens on the 14th of February. No, it's not the one you're thinking of, I'm sure. Here at Radio Free Nashville we try to give voice to alternative viewpoints, so in that spirit I'll be celebrating International Quirkyalone Day on the show. If you're curious as to what it is, I hope you'll tune in and learn what that's all about.

Segment 4: Non-oldie/Current/New
I have a couple of very fine covers of songs that were out in 1964. I started with Buddy Greene from his CD "Rufus". He does a beautiful cover of a song from the Beatles first US release.
Buddy Greene – All My Loving
Samantha Mooney – I Only Want To Be With You (cover of Dusty Springfield's hit from 1964; Paper Memories CD)

Encouragement: Wendy V's Encouraging Words column (www.embraceencouragement.com), February 2009: In These Hard Times

Closing theme: King Curtis - Soul Serenade

No comments: