Sunday, February 22, 2009

2/22/09 Playlist: In Studio Guest Kim McLean

Forget about last week's train wreck of a show. This one couldn't have been better.

Opening theme—Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass - So What's New

Well, today was a special edition of "Never Too Old". I had singer/songwriter KimMcLean in the studio as a guest. She's got a beautiful new CD called Rapunzel's Escape.

I changed up the format for today. For this first half hour I mixed up the record box, soul and one not so oldie/current portions and brought in Kim in the second half hour. I started the first set off with a song that I did get by request last week. This is a song I've played pretty often on my show, most recently on my 1964 show. It's one that I think wears very well, even being about 40 years old...I never get tired of it.

The Reflections – (Just Like) Romeo and Juliet
Byrds – 8 Miles High
Rascals – Groovin
Drifters – I Count the Tears
George Adams – Stronger Than Words
Sorry, ladies, should have given you a goosebump and tissue alert on that one. Now that is a singer's singer.

I asked Kim McLean what some of her favorite oldies were, and it turned out the station did have one or two of them here in the catalog.
Archies – Sugar Sugar
Gladys Knight and the Pips - I Heard It Through the Grapevine
Barbara Acklin - Love Makes A Woman
Temptations - You're My Everything

I want to thank people for e-mailing me and giving me encouragement about last week's show which became a bit of a technical challenge...I am upfront and honest about all the glitches that happen on this show and I'm hearing that people enjoy it when I make my comments about all that in the blog. It's kinda fun, and I do try not to take things and myself too seriously.




In-Studio Guest: Kim McLean; also joined by Devon O'Day (backing vocals) and Will McLean-Johnston (aka "Will McJ") on percussion.

Kim McLean, originally from Greensboro NC, is an award winning songwriter who’s had more than two hundred songs recorded by artists like Tim McGraw, Lee Ann Womack, Trisha Yearwood, and a Gospel Song of the Year recorded by The Martins, "Count Your Blessings". She's also done a duet with Dolly Parton called “Angels and Eagles". Kim McLean’s music is available through Amazon, iTunes, CDBaby, and all major online retailers.

Featured tracks from Rapunzel's Escape

Cracks In The Concrete - live performance
Rapunzel - CD track
Any Day - CD track
Beautiful Goodbye - live performance

Upcoming in store appearance – Shoppes On The Harpeth – Apricot Lane store on Hwy 100 in Nashville, February 28 2 p.m.

Websites: www.kimmclean.com
www.myspace.com/kimmclean

Encouragement:
One of the greatest gifts anyone could have, I think, is the gift of song. Especially this week I've witnessed the gift of music touch and move people, inspire them to action. If you do have that gift, I do hope you are using it to bring joy to others. Maybe you have another gift—you could be a writer, a painter...or simply being someone with a good listening ear. Don't pass up the chance to be the difference to someone...use whatever gifts you have to brighten your corner of the world, and someone else's.

Closer – King Curtis – Soul Serenade

It had been a while since I've had guests on a show, so I was a little nervous and hoped I wouldn't seem too amateurish in front of such accomplished songwriters and one seasoned professional radio personality. But Kim and Devon made it easy and it helped that they've also become friends of mine; what I didn't mention on the show is that I've been blessed for the last few months to be part of a Tuesday night prayer group led by Kim and Devon.

By the way, there's a chance this interview may be archived on Kim's website at some point as soon as I can get the archive file to them, so stay tuned for this...I'll keep you posted.

No comments: