Sunday, February 8, 2009

2/8/09 Playlist: Quirkyalone Day

Opening theme: So What's New - Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass

Segment 1: International Quirkyalone Day
Well, this coming Saturday is a holiday, sort of, as you probably know. If you listen to the media, everyone is supposed to be getting flowers, candy and have a spouse or significant other. But, if that all doesn't apply to you, if you aren't partnered and you don't get candy and hearts and flowers, you don't have to feel left out. There is an alternative that you may not be aware of and you can celebrate instead...and it just happens to happen on February 14th. It's called "International Quirkyalone Day" and that is described as a "do-it-yourself celebration of romance, friendship, and independent spirit; a feel-good alternative to the marketing barrage of Valentine's Day". Here is the definition of a "quirkyalone": A person who has the capacity to enjoy single life (but is not opposed to being in a relationship) and generally prefers to be alone rather than dating for the sake of being in a couple.

The "quirkyalone movement" arose from the publication of an essay in 2000 in the Utne Reader by writer Sasha Cagen, who later on in 2004 also wrote a book,called "Quirkyalone: A Manifesto For Uncompromising Romantics", published by Harper Collins. The quirkyalone.net website states that by 2003, the movement grew so large that it staged its first holiday: International Quirkyalone Day, February 14. As Sasha Cagen writes in her original essay, "We are the puzzle pieces who seldom fit with other puzzle pieces. Romantics, idealists, eccentrics, we inhabit singledom as our natural resting state. In a world where proms and marriage define the social order, we are, by force of our personalities and inner strength, rebels."

Now I'm being realistic here, if I tried to avoid your typical love song throughout today's show, I wouldn't have had much of a show. So for at least this first part of the show I started off with a set of songs that aren't about sappy romantic bliss. If I were to give a musical quirkyalone award to someone, that might go to John Fogerty, who while with Creedence Clearwater Revival managed to rack up a string of hits that weren't about romance.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Who'll Stop The Rain
Simon and Garfunkel – I Am A Rock
Beach Boys – In My Room
Statler Brothers – Flowers On the Wall
Lesley Gore – You Don't Own Me (note to self: remember that the cassette player in the studio has its own power button. Turn it on first before you hit the "play" button and expect the cassette to play.)

I have sort of a "quirkyalone" story for you. Last year, back when I was working, one of our co-workers was just starting a relationship and her boyfriend sent her a dozen roses at the office. I remember saying to my co-worker in the next cube that no one ever sent me roses. Well, the next day, a dozen roses were delivered to me...courtesy of that same co-worker. It was a sweet and thoughtful gesture and really, it should be what it's all about. You know?

Segment 2: Picking Through the Record Box
I have a birthday to acknowledge for this week. One of my musical heroes, Al Kooper, turned 65 years old on Thursday. I played a couple of songs from him, the first from his Soul Of A Man CD which featured live performances from his 50th birthday celebration.

Al Kooper - My Days Are Numbered
Blood Sweat and Tears - Just One Smile
Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs – Wooly Bully
Bobb B. Soxx & the Blue Jeans - Zip A Dee Doo Dah
Rascals - People Got To Be Free

I want to thank some folks who left some nice comments on last week's 1964 show on the MySpace version of the blog. I invite you to please post your comments as well. Thanks also to those who sent me e-mail via MySpace.

The Facebook group is now up to 51 members--thanks one and all!

Segment 3: Soul Stew
Impressions - It's All Right
Temptations - Don't Let the Joneses Get You Down
Jackie Wilson - Baby Workout
Wilson Pickett - In the Midnight Hour

Segment 4: Non-oldie/Current/New
I had to switch gears quickly. A couple of songs which I brought in on my stick drive to play were in a format other than MP3 and the playout system didn't recognize them. Fortunately I had Amy Holland's CD with me and found a song from the CD which lyrically fit nicely with the rest of the show.

Amy Holland - A Few Short Hours (Journey To Miracle River)

Encouragement:
Somewhere on the quirkyalone.net site is a picture of a candy heart which said "Be Yours" on it. I remember I printed it one year, stuck it on a button and wore it to work one February 14. But really, it's not so much an act of defiance of Valentine's Day. In the midst of all this self-celebration is a very valid truth. We all need to believe that we have something good within ourselves that we can offer others. If you don't love yourself first, you really won't be very good at loving someone else or being a good friend. So first, think of yourself, your talents, abilities, your kindness and compassion as the gift to others as it truly is. That, my friends, is the bottom line.

Closer: King Curtis - Soul Serenade

The technical gremlins were out in full force today. Two songs I played from the playout system sounded like a malfunctioning CD, and did that sticking effect like I was playing some sort of dance mix of the songs. I'd have figured it to be a CD issue...except these were MP3 files I was playing and not from CDs themselves. I have no idea why that happened. Other than that, a fun show.

No comments: