Sunday, November 15, 2009

11/15/09 Blog/Playlist: Double Trouble

I have been on the road and on the go since last Thursday evening, with for the most part only enough time to get home to bed for a few hours each night. Somewhere inbetween it all I had to find time to throw a show together.

Today it's two for the price of one. As we get older, sometimes we have a tendency to repeat ourselves, don't we? I came up with a set of songs in which words in the title are repeated twice. Perfect for us baby boomers!

New Christy Minstrels – Green Green
Drifters – True Love, True Love
Tommy James and the Shondells – Mony Mony
Miriam Makeba – Pata Pata
Brenda Lee – Dum Dum
Kingsmen – Louie Louie
Crazy Elephant - Gimme Gimme Good Lovin

I realized I could have also included the Doo Wop song I played last week, Trickle Trickle by the Videos, in this set. But, I wasn't thinking about doing this theme for this week last week. So there ya go!

Segment 2: Picking Through the Record Box

Association – Time For Livin'
Randy and the Rainbows – Denise
Kingston Trio – Where Have All The Flowers Gone
Johnnie and Joe - Over The Mountain Across The Sea
(Last minute change--that's what happens when you get into your music,don't pay attention and forget to cue the next track!)

Segment 3: Soul Stew

Joe Jeffrey Group – My Pledge Of Love
Aretha Franklin – Since You've Been Gone
Michael McDonald – Love TKO
Brenda Holloway - When I'm Gone

Segment 4: Non-oldie/Current/New

Last weekend I went to a wonderful house concert by an artist introduced to me by Laurie McClain, who was a guest on my show a couple of months ago. When she was here she brought along a CD by Dublin born singer/songwriter Danny Ellis. He has a CD called "800 Voices" which chronicles his childhood life in an Irish orphanage. Music was one of the things that kept him going. I played track off that CD, appropriately called Radio.

Danny Ellis – Radio
Kim McLean – Faith, Hope and Love

Frequency To The Heart

Hug someone today. Hug someone that needs some comfort. Hug somebody that did something sweet and wonderful for you. Hug someone just for being who they are. It's a great way to encourage. Hug somebody now, while they are around to be appreciated.

No comments: