Sunday, November 1, 2009

11/1/09 Blog/Playlist: Grab and Go!

So here's the deal. Saturday afternoon our transmitter blew. The station managers didn't think we'd have things up and running in time for my show Sunday morning. So I called Lance Hoppen (of the group Orleans), who was my scheduled guest, and told him we needed to postpone his guest appearance until December. I got up Sunday morning, went on Facebook and learned we had a loaner transmitter in place. I turned on the radio and there we were. But I hadn't heard anything from the station on whether or not I should show up. Would my hour be automated, or were they expecting me? There was only one thing to do: grab a few CDs and my computer and go over to the station and see what was up. I got hold of Ginny and Greg (station managers) also showed up. Both told me to go for it and give doing a live show a shot. So what the heck. I did. (No, I did not call poor Lance and rouse him out of bed and tell him to come on down!) I winged this one solo. I momentarily lost my script but found it so I at least had my first set I originally planned and my "frequency to the heart".

There were a couple of technical flubs in the beginning but those were to be expected. I did a lot of explanations about how the shows work and such. I started with a 70s set, with one flub-prompted change:

Grass Roots - Sooner or Later
Grass Roots - Two Divided By Love
Pickettywitch - Same Old Feeling
Walter Egan - Magnet and Steel
Maria Muldaur - Midnight at the Oasis

Record Box:
Gene McDaniels - 100 Pounds of Clay
Marcie Blaine - Bobby's Girl
Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas - Bad To Me
Shangri-Las - Give Us Your Blessings (a Jeff Barry/Ellie Greenwich rarity played from a rather interesting collection of "death" songs called "Dead: The Grim Reaper's Greatest Hits")
Los Bravos - Black Is Back

Soul Stew:
Wilson Pickett - Funky Broadway
Supremes - Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart
Temptations - You've Got To Earn It

Current/Non-Oldies:
Grabbed a quick couple of tracks this morning from some past guests:
Boomer Castleman - Never Say Never Again
Les Kerr - Camellia Grill

Frequency To The Heart:
I was just looking at the calendar here at the station one day and happened to see a quote on one page from Eleanor Roosevelt: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Some of us tend to be the type that says "yes" to a lot of things. But we need to say "no" to comparing ourselves to others and buying in to feelings of inferiority. So when it comes to those things...don't give your consent.

Closer - King Curtis - Soul Serenade

This was also my first time trying out the new broadcast board at the station. We had been using a board more typical of a sound mixer, but we now have one with "pots" you turned up and down. This is more like the board I learned radio on when I was in college. There is a big difference in the sound on the microphone...much better clarity and fidelity. Of course, it also picks up all your vocal tics better.

It was cool in a way to be the one to "inaugurate" the new board for the weekend programmers. I didn't think it would happen. We were told today would be sort of a "dress rehearsal" for us since we are at lower broadcast power until we get technical things to full speed. Not bad, considering it was a "grab and go" show.

Next weekend we put up the new antenna. Depending when that happens, I may or may not be on. I'll keep you posted. Thanks to those who tuned in (I know of at least one who did!) and rolled with me this morning.

No comments: