Sunday, November 8, 2009

11/8/09 Blog/Playlist: Library Finds-Anthology Day

It was "anthology day" on Never Too Old this morning. As I was keeping my show log, I realized that most of what I played came from various "anthology" collections.

I also had a case of the "flying mic" this morning. The microphone kept bouncing up to a higher level and I couldn't keep it lowered down close enough for me, so I had to hold it to talk. It helps when I have two hands free to do things instead of one.

Segment 1: Library Finds - Association and Doo Wop

I enjoy going to the local library to try and find music for my show. I often find many gems among the collections. This week I found two great compilations: one put out by Rhino Records called "The Only Doo Wop Collection You'll Ever Need" and an anthology collection on the popular 60s rock band The Association called "Just the Right Sound" that has a bit of interesting stuff on it. I played some songs in this first set from both of those collections. I'm going to throw a song in here that you may recognize as done by another group...but many of you may not be as familiar with this earlier version. But first, something from the Doo Wop box set.

Fiestas – So Fine
Association – Goodbye Columbus (From the movie of the same name - two different group members submitted songs for the movie but one won out. The band also recorded the other song and renamed it "Goodbye Forever")
Videos - Trickle Trickle (Also covered a few years ago by the Manhattan Transfer)
Association – Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (You all may remember it done quite differently by Led Zeppelin)
Gene Chandler – Duke Of Earl

One of the things I love most about these compilations is the package liner notes. Now, unfortunately, when you get items out of the library, there's a chance some things may be missing with all the passing around a CD might get. I would expect there probably was some kind of annotation with the Doo Wop package, being it's a Rhino release and all, but unfortunately I don't have one. I do have one for the Association collection. The introduction was written by Bill Inglot, one of the producers of this project and, as I have discovered, he's had a hand in several other compilations put out by Rhino and other labels. He also was involved in the "Soul Shots" CDs I play here a lot. I just love what he says here...it's a marvelous insight on how growing up with the music in the 60s impacts your life.

"Once Gepetto dies, the toys just aren't the same anymore...
The 60's were a vast sea of energies, synergies, colors, and yes, trouble, which won't repeat and perhaps shouldn't. Even more than that, they can't.
I can't go back there and I know most times I don't want to, except when I long to see those colors again. There is plenty of pop music today that conveys the happiness and joy that life can be. But those colors are missing..."


Man, I wish I wrote that!

Segment 2: Picking Through the Record Box
I started with this other Association tune, a song that I have been teased with for most of my life since the thing came out in 1967. Whenever anyone would see me back when this song was out, I would unfailingly hear a rendition of the chorus of this song. I kept correcting people, no, no, I'm WENDY, not WINDY! Didn't matter. Even at times to this day, people will start singing it.

Association – Windy
Chimes – Once In Awhile
Johnny Horton – North To Alaska
Bobby Darin – Things
Beatles – What You're Doing

Segment 3: Soul Stew
We'll hear a couple from the Tops and the Tempts in this set!

Four Tops – Standing in the Shadows of Love
Temptations – You're My Everything
Four Tops – Something About You
Temptations – It's Growing


Segment 4: Non-oldie/Current/New

I started with this cut from George Adams, who you might remember was my guest last month (boy, the time does fly!). He played another gig at Red Tree Coffee in Kingston Springs this past Thursday. I requested him to play this song, he did and it's a beauty...it's off his "Anthology" CD.

George Adams – Hold On To Love
Semisonic – Closing Time
"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end"...what a great, poignant lyric and one that has been very comforting to me. The song was written by the talented Dan Wilson, of the Twin Cities, who at the time was lead singer/principal songwriter of Semisonic. It's off one of my favorite albums, "Feeling Strangely Fine". I got hooked on this album when I went to a couple of Matchbox 20 and other shows at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul and it would be played before the show started. It was one of those released around that time that had songs that spoke to my spirit. I'll play another track or two on upcoming shows.

Frequency To The Heart
Wendy V's Encouraging Words – November 2009: Show Your Heart...Show Your Appreciation

Different closing theme today: Booker T and the MGs - Time Is Tight (and indeed it was...). Reason: forgot to put the CD with "Soul Serenade" in my bag when I changed things out this weekend. Gotta watch that.

Still getting used to the new board setup..only my second time out with it. Also we've got a technical gremlin or two to yet work out. It'll get there.

No comments: