Sunday, November 29, 2009

11/29/09 Blog/Playlist: Nice Decade - The 70s

I waited a long time to get this "Have A Nice Decade" box set available from the library...it had about 36 or so holds on it. So just as well I was able to push this show up a week as I'll have to return the box set soon!

Segment 1 and 2: Have a Nice Decade - The 70s

Today we're going to dig a bit deep into the 70s. The 70s were fascinating and interesting for pop culture enthusiasts. It was the era of disco, Watergate, many trends, catch phrases and just plain distinctive looks. Do you remember what you wore back then and do you groan when you think about it and see old pictures of yourself? And how about those old prom pictures? Still have any of those?

A lot of what I'm going to play today will come from a series called Have A Nice Decade: the 70s. For the most part, I stayed away from the overplayed, tried and true and dug out some you probably haven't heard in a long while. As I was looking through the collection, I notice there these were a lot of songs in this decade which were off the beaten path, funny, maybe even ridiculous. Probably a good reason why you don't hear many of these anymore! But let's have some decadent fun and recall some of those songs in this first set. As I mentioned, there were a lot of wild trends during the 70s, and this first song celebrates one...I forgot just how funny it was.

Ray Stevens – The Streak
Daddy Dewdrop – Chick- A Boom
Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods – Billy Don't Be A Hero
George Baker Selection – Little Green Bag
Bay City Rollers – Saturday Night
Johnny Wakelin and the Kinshasa Band – Black Superman (Muhammad Ali)

In the notes for the Have a Nice Decade package, the producer, David McLees, notes that the 70s was the one decade which caused people of all generations to laugh at how we looked. I'm not even going to mention some of the outfits I recall I had during my teen years which I thought were way cool at the time. Well, OK, I mentioned one--the white pantsuit with the large green flowery petals. Why didn't anyone tell us how ridiculous we looked back then!

This set started with a couple of songs good for a Sunday morning.

Godspell – Day by Day (that one jumped in the player a few times..but did so on pitch!)
Ocean – Put Your Hand In the Hand
Coven – One Tin Soldier
Five Man Electrical Band – Signs
First Class – Beach Baby

Segment 3: Soul Stew

If you remember the music of the 70s, you know that some of the best soul music ever came out of that decade. I got a few in as I had time for.

McFadden and Whitehead –Ain't No Stoppin Us Now
Blue Magic – Sideshow
Honey Cone – Want Ads
Main Ingredient – Everybody Plays The Fool

Frequency To The Heart:

The 70s were the "have a nice day" decade, symbolized by that famous "happy face". Going into the holiday season, in that spirit, why not find some ways you can help someone have a nice day? Take somebody to lunch, do the unexpected, or just say something to brighten someone's day. Like perhaps say "have a nice day". (Couldn't resist!)

Next week: Complicated Love...the sequel! We'll play songs about liars, cheaters, players, and I'll have a question for you, too.

Also next Saturday December 5, I'll be sitting in for my buddy T.J. Kirby on T.J. and Company from 3-5 p.m. Central time. That puts me back in my old time slot for a week and I get a shot at a two hour show. I do a guest spot with him once a month but this week "steal the show" while he's away.

I didn't do a current music set this time because I just had so much in the 70s collection I wanted to get to. I apologize to those who missed that..I'll make it up next week and get one or two in on Saturday as well.

No comments: